Sunday, June 24, 2012

BACON BOUQUET ~ A WELCOME HOME GIFT

Yes, you read that right. I know ... it's crazy, but it's my kind of crazy! We made these to welcome my husband back home from a business trip and I wish you could've seen the look on his face. It was priceless! My teenage son was so impressed with how it looked in real life that he took pictures of it with his Nintendo 3DS and sent it to all his friends. This is definitely a fun and memorable gift for your favorite carnivore.

Before I go over the recipe, I must give credit where credit is due. I did NOT come up with this ingenious creation. I spotted it on Our Best Bites and I had to give it a go. The instructions below are totally based on Sara's recipe with my own observations added. Be sure to check out her post here.

Here's a peek at my finished product:

Click on photo for larger view.
Making bacon roses is a breeze. You will need:

~  A Baking Rack (Using the rack will keep your flowers out of the grease and allow your bacon to cook evenly and not be mushy at the bottom)
~  A Foil Lined Baking Sheet (make sure your baking sheet has sides to it to catch all the drippings)
~  Bacon ~ 1 slice per bacon flower
~  Wooden Toothpicks ~ 2 per flower (do not use the colored ones unless you want green bacon ... yuck!)
~  Long Stem Silk Flowers  ~ 1 per bacon flower

[Note: You could get individual long stem flowers and pay $2.00 for each, but I chose stems that had 6 flowers on one stem for 94 cents per stem. That means it was only $1.98 for a dozen flowers, plus the flowers are already set at varying heights which makes for a more natural look.]

 
To make your bouquet, you will need to do the following:

Take your silk flower stems and remove the silk flowers. (I felt like Morticia Addams doing this step.) Set the stems aside.

Preheat oven to 400̊ƒ (204̊c). Place a baking rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. Make sure your baking sheet has sides to it as there will be a lot of bacon fat dripping into it during the baking. The foil is a definite must as it will save you having to clean up baked-on grease mounds. (Ask me how I know this ...lol.) Now it's time to roll your bacon flowers (meatier edge at the top) and secure the bottoms with two toothpicks crosswise.

Line up your bacon flowers on the baking sheet (the toothpicks should help them stand in place). Make sure to leave space in between for the air to circulate to evenly cook your bacon. 


Bake at 400̊ƒ (204̊c) for 20-30 minutes, until the outside is crisp and browned. If you do more than one batch (because you've gone bacon crazy and you want to create a whole Bacon Botanical Garden) be sure to re-line the pan between batches to clear the greasy drippings so they don't smoke up your oven.


Once your bacon flowers have cooled completely, remove toothpicks. Place bacon flower on the plastic spike where the silk flower used to be. Place your bouquet in a vase or wrap in floral paper and prepare to knock the socks off your intended recipient ...hee hee hee.


That's it for today, although I should warn you  ... the smell of bacon will draw every member of your family  to the kitchen. My solution was to feed them first. We had breakfast for dinner (waffles, bacon, sausages ...etc.) Once they had their fill, all but one of them left the kitchen. My faithful pup stayed to stand guard over the bacon ... just in case. = )

Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a great day!

Hugs,
Snoopy :D

10 comments :

Holley (Tondre) Barnhart said...

WOW, I know some REAL bacon lovers who would want that. Big time!! Thanks for sharing. That's awesome. I am going to share a link to your blog to show this to someone. Cheers, Holley

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Haha, LOVE it!!

Loz said...

They look YUMMY Snoopy. Hardy would have eaten all the bacon before I could make the flowers..LOL..Loz

Shelley said...

Aww, love the doggie. Bacon flowers are a fun idea and the post was a hoot!

Pat and Meka said...

What a hoot! Love it...thanks for the photo! Bet it smells wonderful!
Also love the doggie...bet he's love the bouquet too,,,,yum!

Ellis said...

So wish I had seen his face too, the roses looks great! =)
Good work on making them, also good that you feed the others first! =)
Hugs, Elenor

Anonymous said...

E~ Oh my word, you are right, the bouquet did turn out cute! I didn't ask you, did your hubby eat the entire bouquet at once? I think I'm going to make one soon! Thanks for sharing! Love ya! ~Trish~ :)

lindagrady said...

What a great gift for a bacon lover. I can imagine how good the kitchen smelled. No wonder your dog is keeping card; mine would, too. Thanks for sharing pic and instructions.

Serena said...

Too funny! I might have to give Mark "flowers" for our anniversary. LOL

Faye said...

This is sooo cool