Thursday, September 19, 2013

RRR80 SHABBY CHIC CHALLENGE ~ ALTERED MOUSE TRAP

Yes, you read right. It's an altered mouse trap ... with mice on it no less. I belong to a card group that loves House Mouse stamps and the meeces there thought it would be fun to make altered mouse traps. (Yes, I do think we're a little warped, but in a good way ...lol.) So I went out to the dollar store and picked up a pack of fresh clean mousetraps. I removed the trip bar and the plastic piece of cheese that was there to put food on and painted it a nice chocolate brown with acrylic paint.

(click on photo for larger view)
I thought the "snappy" part of the trap would make a great recipe card holder so I grabbed my House Mouse Decoupage Sheets and got to work. I took this little vignette and mounted it on card stock to show where the recipe card would go.

(click on photo for larger view)
I cut out and layered my little mice until I had a nice 3D effect. Then I added some Mini Paper Roses from PaperMart attached them with a glue dot and wrapped the stems around the "snappy" part to simulate vines growing all around it. The unseen part of the body of the mouse trap was the addition of magnetic strips to the back of it so it could be placed on a refrigerator, oven hood, or other appliance in the kitchen.

I dove into my August Ribbon Club assortment from Really Reasonable Ribbon and glued the Crochet Lace around the back of the mousetrap to soften it up a bit. Then I took the Sweetheart Cherries Grosgrain Ribbon and added it where the trip bar used to be.

(click on photo for larger view)
For the final touch, I used ribbon clamps and jump rings to attach some charms to my ribbon and my altered mouse trap was done. :D

(click on photo for larger view)
This is my first attempt at Shabby Chic or altered anything and I am entering it in RRR Challenge #80 Shabby Chic &  Ribbon Theme (RRR80).

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Hugs,


9 comments :

Loz said...

WOW!!! This is amazing Snoopy. I LOVE all the detail and the hard work ...Loz

ellyscard creatief said...

Amazing creation.
Gr Elly

Sparkly Engineer said...

This is so absolutely charming. I love all the details, the recipe and the ribbon charms.

Dawn Renee ' said...

Snoopy you outdid yourself! This is such a creative and cute altered trap, if only all mice/mousetraps were so cute. You are bound to win, wishing you luck!!

Lenoria said...

This is so cute, I love this creation!

Annika said...

Absolutely lovely!

Asha said...

WOW! What an adorable project, Snoopy! Great use of the mousetrap- you even made that contraption look cute. love it!
xxx Asha
Sunny Summer Crafts

Carol said...

Absolutely adorable!! I love the mouse peeking out from behind the recipe!!!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

adorable! ..thank-you so much for playing along at rrr! cherry